Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Must be working this sailing out

Mixed bag of conditions from Vanuatu to Brisbane

Good sailing on a beam reach for the first 3 hours then lost wind and motored for 36 hrs

On passing the Grand Passage wind picked up to 15 kts as predicted but not as predicted continued to pick up peaking at 40 kts by the time we reached Chesterfield reef.

After Chesterfield we did enjoy a great days sailing with wind on the beam, moving along at 7-8 kts.

The day before we arrived in Moreton Bay, the winds died again.  motored all day to see winds pick up in time to enter Moreton Bay on Sunday night.  by 9:00pm we were hit by a large thunderstorm.  no damage.

Good to be back home

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Port Vila to QLD

Gale and strong wind warnings surround us.  Looks like the weather will calm down next week for a 1,000nm passage to QLD.

Thinking about making landfall in Brisbane, although most of the boats here will head to Bundaberg.

We will be in Australia by the end of the month.  Wow!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fiji to Vanuatu

Plan to leave this week for Tanna Island from Lautoka.  Conditions look good with SE winds around 15kts for week.  Passage will take 4 days.

A stationary front is in the area although it looks to be of little concern and will have moved on before we leave.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tonga to Fiji STRONG WIND WARNING

We are currently in Fijian waters, with 150nm to go to Savu Savu.

Fiji weather issued a strong wind warning for all Fijian waters yesterday. so far on this passage we have had almost no wind motoring all the way. The forecast is for 20 to 25knt winds from the south east. expect winds to start picking up mid morning today, building to over 25kts by tomorrow morning.

We have already reefed down in anticipation of the increased trade winds.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tonga to Fiji

Departed Nukualofa at 1400 1st September 2010. Plan to arrive Savusavu, Fiji around 5th September.

Stationary front moving through Tonga as we departed. expect clear weather for rest of the passage.

Our route will take us from Nukualofa to Vatoa Island then to Totoya Island before making our way to Savusavu.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Va'vau to Nuku'alofa via Ha'api group of Islands

Taking advantage of a quite week for winds to travel south.

Overnight sail from Va'vau to Luangahu Island. Then to Ha'afeva followed by Tungua, Lalona, Kelefesia.

Expect to be in Nuku'alofa by the week-end

Issues
1. Yamaha outboard got water in fuel and is causing many problems with carburetor. Unable to clean fuel intake, Very unreliable. May need to replace carburetor if it cannot be cleaned properly.
2. Mainsheet traveler car bolts sheered. needs to be repaired/replaced.

Hoping we can make some sort of repairs in Nuku'alofa.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Niue to Tonga August 3, 2010

On route to the Kingdom of Tonga. relatively short 230nm passage. Weather reports look OK with light winds from the East and 3 meter swell. Expect to arrive in Neiafu on Friday. We will loose a day as we cross the International Date Line.

A reminder of the dangers, we met the crew of Anna as we left. A 57 ft catamaran that was capsized after being hit by 60+ kt winds after sailing nicely in 18kt winds. Anna is adrift last seen at 19 32.30S 172 14.6W drifing 325T at 1kt.

We are on route with Whiskers, Marlin & Albatross III

Another slow passage. We will just sit back and enjoy the ride.