Sunday, January 24, 2010
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
We will stay at Shelter Bay until our Canal Transit on January 27/28.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
We have be sailing at night with only a double reefed main, flying the yankee during the day. Surfing down the face of waves is making it difficult to keep BR from false jibbing. Power management poor as we are using the auto helm to steer. PC battery is dead and have to use inverter for power.
The damage so far. Snapped the Monitor safety tube, snapped a lug that holds the boom vang, broken china, very tired crew.
We are now 96 nm from the San Blas. Not sure what we will do about anchoring as we arrive after sun set. Will study the charts today.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Tonight we expect 20 to 30 kt winds and seas building to 10 ft. sailing only with 130% headsail. Monitor is steering very well however following sea is making for a very rolly ride.
Friday, January 1, 2010
We will leave in the afternoon around 5:00pm, uplock into lake and stay the night. The following morning we will down lock into the pacific, completing the transit around lunch time.
You will be able to see us on web cam, click here.
The fleet of 40 boats will depart Rodney Bay, sail south to Casteries, then head west to Panama.
Weather forecast is for light(10-15kt) winds and 5-6ft swell. However we will want to monitor conditions off Columbia that have a reputation for high winds and seas. I expect it to take 7-8 days to complete the passage to the San Blas Islands.
Bristol Rose will be fitted with a "Yellow Brick" and you can track her progress here I will also log position reports via the SSB.